St John’s RC Special School is committed to helping our young people to stay safe. This extends to all areas of school life and activity. Thus :
- All recruitment of staff is in line with best safeguarding practice and any interview panel will include a staff member who has successfully undertaken Safer Recruitment training
- All staff have regular safeguarding training including in relation to the Prevent strategy, and with regards to female genital mutilation.
- DBS checks are applied to all relevant visitors
- All staff receive regular training on issues to do with online safety
- The school has Internet safety champions who provide advice and guidance to parents and families both through formal training opportunities and through informal channels.
- Issues to do with all aspects Keeping Safe are addressed with pupils through work with learning mentors and as part of the PSHE programme.
- We have a nominated governor for Safeguarding who works with the school to evaluate its safeguarding policies and practices.
- We aim to create an open and honest culture in which children and young people and the adults who support them feel empowered to express their worries and concerns.
- We seek to create ever more effective partnerships with a range of external agencies to ensure that pupil well being is always paramount.
This is a brief summary but for further information please refer to our Safeguarding policy, Learning Mentors’ page, and PSHE curriculum including our Sex and Relationships Education policy.