St. John’s RC Mentor Department supports students experiencing a variety of difficulties. This could be low confidence, anger management issues, peer/social difficulties, communication difficulties and transition into school.
Pupils can be referred by staff and parents. We work with the student, parents, class staff and other professionals to identify what the issue is and make a plan of action to address the problem.
Building stronger home/school links is crucial in this process and often helps to make school a more positive experience for the student and can also impact on home life for the better.
Mentors are also involved in many other areas that can impact on the student’s general positive approach to school and everyday life.
- Keeping Safe groups (internet, crime relationships etc)
- Running the After School club
- Co-ordinating the Lambourne End Outdoor Activities programme
- Co-ordination of community links with Palmer Catholic Academy
- Organising workshops with Essex Police and visits to the local police station.
In simple terms we hope to work as part of the whole school team in making St.John’s as happy a place as possible for our students and to support parents.